Monday, February 6, 2012

Boredom - Not in my vocab

It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.  ~Henry David Thoreau



      I do not remember spending much time indoors when I was younger. If there was light outside that's where I would be. I can honestly say that I've never been bored. There is always something to ponder, play, and create. Growing up we learned to entertain ourselves. My sister and I kind of viewed the TV as a last resort only to be used when there was not another game to play and it was dark outside. Normally, at family functions we would put together a song and dance or a play. My cousins that were close to the same age would select a song and workout a routine to present to the adults. 
     It's hard for me to be really captivated by something on the TV. I do enjoy movies, reading, sporting events, plays, ballets, and concerts. I love spending time with people that have the same exuberance for life. Who are not afraid to appear silly. They see lava instead of the floor, create their own song lyrics, and can turn any event in to an adventure. 
     One of my favorite memories of my little brother is when we went to go see Pearl Harbor at the movie theatre. Jacob was three or four at the time, got understandably bored and decided to become a T-Rex. My sister and I found this hilarious. He got out of his seat and started walking the aisle. His little blond head bobbing up and down between the row of seats. He toned down his roar to movie mode where you could just barely make it out over the actors. My parents were not pleased and after 10 minutes he was firmly told to get back in his seat. He ignored them and was popped on the butt. He was outraged. Jacob informed everyone that you were not suppose to spank dinosaurs and most certainly not a T-Rex. 
     
"Imagination is not only the uniquely human capacity to envision that which is not, and therefore the fount of all invention and innovation. In its arguably most transformative and revelatory capacity, it is the power to that enables us to empathize with humans whose experiences we have never shared."
J. K. Rowling

No comments:

Post a Comment